The Hamilton Watch Company was established in 1892 when the Keystone Standard Watch Company was forced into bankruptcy and sold at a sheriff's sale to a group of Lancaster businessmen whose objective was to, "build only watches of the highest quality." A merger was effected, the same year, with the Aurora Watch Company of Illinois and the new company was renamed after James Hamilton, owner of a large tract of land, which includes what is now the city of Lancaster.
|The Hamilton Watch Factory at Lancaster, Pennsylvania|
The Hamilton Watch Company was housed on a thirteen-acre campus and Aurora's machinery was shipped to the plant at Lancaster shortly after the merger. With quality being Hamilton's primary goal, the company set out to manufacture "America’s Finest Watch,” and indeed they did. In 1893 Hamilton produced its very first timepiece: an 18-size 17-jewel pocket watch.
For a more comprehensive Hamilton Watch history, check out: http://www.hamiltonwatch.info/History.htm